answer: Know the warning signs.
III.Warning Signs and Behaviors:
Significant impairments in social interaction:
• impaired use of nonverbal behaviors
(eye contact, facial expression, body postures, and gestures)
• failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to
• lack of seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or
achievements spontaneously with others
• lack of social or emotional expression/ reciprocity
Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities:
• significant preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and
restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal by
intensity or focus.
• inflexible attachment to specific,
non-functional routines or rituals
• stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
(hand or finger flapping or twisting, complex whole
• persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
– Significant impairment in social, occupational,
or other important areas of function
– No clinically significant general delay in language
– No clinically significant delay in cognitive
development, age-appropriate self-help skills,
adaptive behavior, and curiousity about environment
Asperger’s Disorder is significant for severe and sustained impairment in social interaction and the development of restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests and activities.
Note: The above list provided is not intended for the use of diagnosing disorders. Disorders are diagnosed by the severity, frequency and a combination of many factors. Please seek professional advice should any of the above listed criteria cause any concern.